Yeah, it is summertime! Time to take a break, visit places, meet old and new friends and enjoy the sun. So last week we, a group of printmaking enthusiasts, decided to take a day off to visit the Chalcography department of the Royal Library of Belgium/KBR in Brussels, currently lead by talented illustrator and printmaker Leen Van Hulst. To be honest, before meeting Leen during the letterpress workshop in Antwerp earlier this year I had no idea about this department at all. So when she kindly suggested to visit it we immediately scheduled the appointment.Read More
Every year, in June, I take a few days off to travel to Milan to attend the Letterpress Workers Summit in Milan, a unique event gathering more than letterpress practitioners from Europe and US (blogpost about the event will follow next month). After a short train ride from Milan, we, a group of 10-12 people arrived in the city of Parma. The Bodoni Museum is only open till 13 o'clock and it is better to arrange an appointment before visiting, although it requires a certain knowledge of the Italian language. And we have to thank John Christopher (Flowers & Fleurons, UK) for contacting the museum staff.Read More
1. The theme of ATypI: Association Typographique Internationale 2018 conference is 'Type Legacies: honouring the heritage, designing type today'. By honouring our heritage, we reflect on the rich tradition of type to gain insights into the contemporary practice and inspire the future. September 11–15, 2018, Antwerp, Belgium.
The call for presentations for ATypI 2018 is now open.
Deadline for submissions is Monday, April 30, 2018.
2. The 5th Bangkok Triennale International Print and Drawing exhibition - link.
3. A look inside Dafi Kühne Swiss Alps-based, mindblowingly vast letterpress studio, by AIGA, (image by Daniel Infanger)
4. Drukken, bladwijzers maken of een velletje papier marmeren in Plantin-Moretus museum tijdens de Erfgoeddag, 22.04.
1. The next annual conference of the AEPM will be hosted by the Imprenta municipal – Artes del libro, Madrid, Spain from the 24-26 May 2018. The theme of the conference is:
'After printing: bookbinding as cultural heritage'.
2. MABB2018-Malmö Artists Book Biennial, first international artist's book fair in Sweden, a fair and exhibition about art based on the book as a phenomenon. 20.04.18.
3. GAA drukt door in Grote Kerk in Alkmaar. 22.06-22.07.18.
4. 'The Letterpress Printer', a lovely short film about Nick Hand from Bristol. The first in a new on-going collection of short films that explore the human relationship with passions, occupations and obsessions.
Where — Dok-Zuid 23, 9000 Gent
When — Saturday 05.05.18 & Sunday 06.05.18 from 13:00 until 17:00
Price — €40 pp (all materials included)
Registration is required — firstname.lastname@example.org
Max. 6 participants per workshop (+16)
2. Atelier Musee Imprimerie, the largest European printing museum is coming soon to Malesherbes (FR). Take a look at 'the making off' video.
3. Residency. Women’s Studio Workshop in Beisinghoff, Germany. Apply here.
4. Summer course Typography 2018. Atelier t, Bierbeek (BE).
1. Grand Mots Grands Moyens, an exhibition at Le Musée de l’imprimerie in Nantes,
2. Printing Colour 1700-1830 conference, 10-12.04.18, London.
3. Cataloging the Enquirer collection at the Hamilton Wood Type & Printing Museum.
4. Printing Revolution and Society 1450-1500 - Fifty Years that Changed Europe Congres.